Search This Blog

Friday, May 20, 2011

Sweater balls?? I think so!!!


I have an addiction to making *things* out of other *things*.  Curtains out of sheets, swags out of eggs, mittens from sweaters;  you get the idea!  So while I was searching through the "wireless highway" of treasures I could make out of crap I already have I came across a simple picture of a colorful ball made out of old sweaters!

So I thought because I had an entire garbage bag full of old sweaters in my ginormous closet of "junk I need to make other junk" (I have them to make more mittens!)  I would try and make a cute little baby ball.  But I wanted to make it more my own creation and not just like the one I saw in the picture.  So I added tags from different types of  ribbon and ric rac!






I made a pattern kinda in the shape of a leaf and cut away at my sweaters.  The sleeves were the perfect size- plus then you can cut 2 at a time!  Then it was trial and error - I pinned and added my loops as I went in a random order - After I was done sewing the actual *leaf* pieces together - the top and bottom were open so I turned it right side out and stuffed the day lights out of it!  This thing is SSSSOOOOO soft and squishy! 

Then I sewed up the top and bottom.  All I did was line the points together and quick hand stiched it, because it was going to be underneath the little circle anyway.  Then I cut 2 circles out of the cuff of one sweater.  I traced a spool of ribbon for my circles.  Then I pinned them down and with 3 strands of embroidery thread I stiched around each circle!

VIOLA!  A cute, soft, safe, GREEN gift for a tiny little person!  If you should have any variation or suggestions I would love to hear them!

Happy crafting
Steph

3 comments:

  1. this is super cute! and brave too, sewing with cut up sweaters is not always easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is adorable! Sew clever! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would make the best baby shower present ever! What baby wouldn't love to play with that? Great job!

    ReplyDelete