Search This Blog

Monday, May 2, 2011

For the LOVE of a MEMORY!!!

It is never easy to loose a friend; much less at the young age of 29.  But that is what happened.  A dear, dear friend of mine from back in school had poor health due to a long battle with diabetes.  I am sad to say she passed away in August of 2003.  She is gone but the memories of our fun times together are not. 

I am still very much in contact with her family.  Our moms are still very good friends as well.  One day her youngest sister contacted me to let me know that she really loves the quilted handbags that I sew.  She asked if I have ever made quilts.  Why, yes I have........(not knowing what was about to hit me in the gut!) She says that she has saved all of her sister's clothes in the hopes that someday, someone would be able to make a quilt out of them!  - (go ahead, you can cry!  I did!  I'll get you a tissue!)

THIS IS WHAT SHOWED UP AT MY HOUSE!
There is another double sized tote with blue jeans and sweaters in it!  After going through all the boxes and picking out what I knew I wanted to use - I began the task of ironing on a firm interfacing because most of the clothes were not suitable for quilting!  Here is what I ended up with ~

5X5 in squares


I am making these quilts (yes I said QUILTS!) a lap size because my space is limited so I can not complete anything larger - and I have about 5 quilts to make out of the clothes that were delivered!  My mom chose to make one for the parents!  That one is already done - (because my mom is insane and worked non stop on it!!)

I chose to do 10 blocks across and 11 rows.  Remember in a previous post about vintage sheets I mentioned a project to use one of the pink floral sheets?  This is it!  I am separating the rows with 2 in strips from this sheet and the backing will also be this sheet.

Here is the top so far.  I have to trim up the floral strips - I made them a bit longer to assure they fit! 



This quilt is pulling more of the pinks and lighter colors!  I have another boring (not my words - the younger sister's words!!!) colored one to make and then a mixed color one!


The next step is to pin the batting and quilt it!  That is the hard part!!!  I hope I can pull this off without too many puckers!!!

Working on this project brings back a flood of happy memories!  I find myself having to put it aside at times because it is so overwhelming!  But when it is finished it will be a cherished piece for sure!

Happy quilting
Steph

2 comments:

  1. I think the vintage sheet was a perfect addition. Do you find yourself petting the sheets? (Even more than normal fabric?) They are a little more difficult to cut accurately, but they FEEL SO GOOD!

    You are a good friend to do this- this is a huge task and I can totally see why you have to put it aside. I had tears in my eyes reading this, and I didn't even know your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do find cutting the sheets a bit more difficult but I cut them smaller then sew them together! a little more work - but more accurate that way!

    ReplyDelete